It’s official. Finally, WhatsApp allows users to transfer the entire chat history from Android to iOS and back. After years of requests, beta testing, and limited compatibility with the smartphone model, the company is rolling out this feature to all users.
The last time 9to5Mac reported this, WhatsApp was integrating the feature through the Move to iOS app, but it’s in beta. A month after the company rolled out this feature, it is now making it available to all users as a stable release.
Here’s what you need to know to migrate chat from Android to iOS and back:
- Android OS Lollipop or SDK 21 or higher or Android 5 or higher installed on your Android device
- iOS 15.5 or above installed on your iPhone
- Go to the iOS app installed on your Android phone
- WhatsApp iOS version 188.8.131.52 or higher on your new device
- WhatsApp Android version 184.108.40.206 or higher on your old device
- Use the same phone number as your old phone on your new device
- Your iPhone must be factory new or reset to factory settings to pair with the Move to iOS app and transfer data from your Android phone
- Both devices must be connected to a power source
- Both devices must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network or you will need to connect your Android device to your iPhone hotspot
How to Migrate WhatsApp Chat History from Android to iPhone
- Open the Move to iOS app on your Android phone and follow the onscreen instructions.
- An icon will be displayed on your iPhone. When prompted, enter the code on your Android phone.
- Faucet Complete And follow the on-screen instructions.
- Choose The WhatsApp On the Data transfer Monitor.
- Faucet beginning on your Android phone, and wait for WhatsApp to prepare the data for export. You will be logged out of your Android phone once the data is ready.
- Faucet next one To return to the Move to iOS app.
- Faucet continue To transfer data from your Android phone to your iPhone and wait for Move to iOS to confirm the transfer is complete.
- Install the latest version of WhatsApp from the App Store.
- Open WhatsApp and sign in with the same phone number used on your old device.
- Faucet beginning When prompted, let the process finish.
- Deactivate your new device and you will see your chats waiting for you.
When you transfer your WhatsApp data, you will have to create an iCloud backup to use the cloud storage. The company notes that it can’t see the data the user has transferred, and the Android phone will still have the data unless people delete WhatsApp or wipe the phone.
How do you like this update? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.
FTC: We use affiliate links to earn income. more.
Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news: