Smart speakers have become so ubiquitous lately that many families have more than one speaker set up to play music or control other smart home devices. Amazon Echo speakers are very popular in this regard as they can easily be paired with each other to create groups and play music in multiple rooms at the same time. A single Echo speaker is good, but several Echos that play music together are better, right? In this article, we will tell you how to create Amazon Echo speaker groups using the Alexa app.
If you have more than one Echo speaker in your home, you can easily pair them both via the Amazon Alexa app by following a few simple steps. This works no matter where you keep the speakers, as long as they are all connected to the same network. For example, you can set up different Echo speakers in different rooms of your house or you can put them all in the same room together if you want to enhance your audio experience. This will also work no matter what Echo device you have. Here’s how to set up a group:
Browse this article:
You’ll need two things before pairing your Echo devices together. Here, take a look:
- Echo speakers: You need more than one amplifier to create an array, so you will need at least two amplifiers for this to work. Make sure both speakers are registered to your Amazon account and ready to go.
- Amazon Alexa app: We’ll be using Amazon’s Alexa app for Android or iOS to create the speaker group. If you are using an Echo device, you may already have this app installed on your phone. If not, make sure to download it to your smartphone before you begin.
How to Create Amazon Echo Speaker Kits with Alexa
Assuming you have both Echo speakers set up and connected to your home network, you are now ready to follow the step given below to create a new speaker group:
- Open the Alexa app and select a file Hardware section from the bottom menu.
- Now, find a file Plus icon in the upper right corner of the screen and select it to see the pop-up menu.
- From the popup, select Add a group option and then select Create a room or group of devices.
- Once you are in, choose next one and assign a name to the room from the predefined list.
- On the next page, you will now get an option to add Alexa devices to the selected room. This page will basically display the list of Echo speakers available to pair for the group.
- Simply select the Echo speakers of your choice, and choose next one To finish setting up the group.
In this tutorial, as you can see, we paired the fourth generation Echo Dot with the third generation Echo Dot speaker to create a “Bedroom” group. Once that’s done, we can now ask Alexa to play music in the bedroom. If you have more than two speakers in a group, you can also choose the speaker to play music on.
It’s very easy to create Echo speaker groups using the Alexa app. The only thing you need to make sure is that all the speakers are connected to the same network. Unlike in the case of creating a stereo pair of speakers with an Amazon Echo, you can use almost any Echo speaker to create a set. You don’t necessarily have to pair the same generation Echo Dot speakers, for example.
Additionally, you can also combine groups to play music on select Echo speakers in your home. You can do this by choosing a file Combine room and group option On the group creation screen we saw earlier. Inside, you’ll be able to select and combine groups you’ve already created to play music in larger areas of your home. You only see one group in the screenshot below because we only created one group for this tutorial. Rest assured, all your groups will be populated in this section.
The Amazon Echo is the best all-round smart speaker for most people with a great design, great sound, and the massive power of the Alexa ecosystem at their disposal.